FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 21, 2018 Contact:
email@example.com New Stop Signs Turn Two W. Center Street Intersections into All-Way Stops
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — The City of Fayetteville Transportation Department is turning two intersections on W. Center Street into all-way stops. Beginning at approximately at 8 a.m. on Monday, February 26, the following intersections will be all-way stops:
- West Avenue at W. Center Street (near Hillcrest Towers)
- University Avenue at W. Center Street (near Evergreen Cemetery)
After reviewing vehicle counts, speeds, and turning patterns, City officials determined that creating all-way stops at the intersections would improve traffic flow. A supplemental “ALL-WAY” sign will be placed below the stop signs. To learn more about the City’s traffic control program, visit this webpage
The Fayetteville Police Department advises of the following procedures for all-way intersections:
- Vehicle Right of Way– The first vehicle that approaches the intersection is the first vehicle to proceed after coming to a complete stop. If two vehicles reach the intersection simultaneously, the vehicle on the left must yield the right of way to the vehicle on the right.
- Vehicle Turn Signals – Drivers must use their turn signal 100 feet prior to the intersection.
- Pedestrian Traffic – If a crosswalk is marked, the pedestrian will always have the right of way over vehicles. If there is not a marked crosswalk, vehicles shall have the right of way, with due caution to pedestrians.
- Bicycle Traffic – Cyclists are granted the rights of pedestrians only if they dismount and walk their bicycle to cross at an intersection.
For additional information on the project, please contact the City of Fayetteville Transportation Division office at 479-575-8228. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.